Thursday 13 December 2012

Last Day. . . How Did This Happen?

I started this rambly post about our last few days here in England, and then even I got bored with all the blah blah blah.

And I know everyone loves top 10 lists - but I'm too tired for 10 things, so please settle for 2 lists of 5.

Here are the top 5 Things I Will Miss About England:
5. Proximity to every cool European city, and cheap flight availability
4. Train travel and year-round bike travel
3. Going down the pub!!!
2. Hobnobs and Cadbury chocolates
1. Being so close to my grandmothers and aunts and uncles and cousins, and being able to see them whenever I wanted - and seeing Elizabeth make real relationships with all of them. 

And here are the top 5 Things I Am Soooo Excited About Having/Doing Again in Canada
5. Going back to work on a semi-regular basis - I know, so weird, right?
4. Getting a house!!! And starting a garden, and having a basement for storage, and getting all our stuff from all our incredible friends and family who have been storing it for us. And all the stuff that "real life" entails - we have just hit the snooze button on real life for 2 years, and I am looking forward to being normal and rooted again.
3. SportsCentre!!! (Please let the NHL make an agreement, because no one wants to watch only basketball highlights for the whole show. No offense, Chris.)
2. Being close to family and friends again, and seeing my nieces whenever I want. And seeing Elizabeth make real relationships with her family members.
1. Warm bathrooms. For some weird reason, people here don't heat their bathrooms, and you have to keep your window open to prevent the evil limescale from growing, so you have that terrible goosepimply feeling when you get out of the shower. I am soooo excited for a warm bathroom again. And for sinks with single faucets with mixed hot & cold water so I can wash my hands with warm water instead of freezing cold or burning.

Seriously. It's the little things. 

Two years have flown past.

Whoooooosh.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"For some weird reason, people here don't heat their bathrooms"

Don't they?

We do, and as far as I know most people do, but I always found *your* bathroom in Cambridge very cold. I might have thought it was a Canadian thing!

Have a good flight,
Rachael x